Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Choco-holic's Heaven Part 1

This Saturday is my dad's birthday and oh boy does he love chocolate. Anything chocolate he will eat...well he will eat pretty much anything I make, but chocolate desserts go twice as fast. So in honor of his birthday we (my mom, my sister and I) are making him 3-4 chocolate toned desserts he can devour leading up to his big day. Tonight I made him Brownie Cookies from Martha Stewart. I tried baking them in three different ways, but we can get to that later. Let's start with the chocolate...lots and lots of chocolate

Bring a pot (or sauce pan if you want to get all fancy) of water to a simmer and place a heat proof bowl full with 12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate on top. I made a silly mistake of taking out a box of milk chocolate melting wafers instead of some bittersweet bars. Luckily, my sister, Brittney, decided to join me and caught my mistake (she liked snacking on the wafers before they went to the pot). So I used 8 oz. of bittersweet Ghirradeli Chocolate and 4 oz. of milk chocolate from William and Sonoma.

While I was melting the chocolate, big sister Brittney beat the sugars and the butter together.
Once the chocolate is melted and the flour, baking powder and salt are whisked together in a small bowl, add alternatively to the sugar/butter mixture.
Now for baking. Martha says to pile dough balls 2 inches apart on parchment paper lined baking sheets, blah blah blah. Unfortunately I did not have any parchment paper so I just sprayed some Pam on the sheet and called it a day. That was my rebellious move number 1. The first batch I did what Martha said, because well let's face it, she's right most of the time. However, either I did something wrong or Martha is just super special because they flattened out when I baked them and did not rise as much as I would have enjoyed. Second batch I took a mini muffin pan and put a little batter in each. Those rose more and came out like those two-bite brownies you see at the supermarket. The last 3 batches I made like Martha, except I tried to make them smaller and have the batter stand up more then out before baking.

Verdict: All of the batches came out good. If you want a more cupcake like brownie put them in the muffin tins and if you want a cookie make them normal. It all depends on your preference.

Recipe:
Makes 34

Ingredients:
1. 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3. 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4. 1/4 teaspoon salt
5. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
6. 1/2 cup granulated sugar
7. 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
8. 3 large eggs
9. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted, then let cool.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until lightened in color. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. With mixer on low, alternately beat in chocolate and flour mixture; mix just until combined (do not overmix).
3. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons, about 2 inches apart, onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cookie comes out clean, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.


But everything tastes better with frosting. Marshmallow seemed like a good choice so I put a 3-4 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan (yes I am getting fancy) with 6 marshmallows broken up, a generous 1/3 cup of sugar, skim milk and an egg white. I do not know why or how I randomly placed these ingredients but it seemed logical at the time. When it was cooking it looked promising, the order of ingredients and when I added them seemed correct but I realized that skim milk would not whip so my attempt failed :(

Instead I took a package of sugar-free instant pudding added 2 cups of cold milk and whisked away. The flavor...white chocolate. It tastes so delicious even though it was sugar-free.

With love and cupcakes,
CookTeen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails