Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Great-Great Grandma's Sugar Cookies


All I have ever heard about sugar cookies from my mom was how amazing these sugar cookies were and how she remembers her Great-Grandmother making them so often. My grandma had the recipe written on a sheet of paper. Actually we had two copies of it, both the same. No directions just a list of ingredients. Now if the ingredients were in measures I knew it would help. But it called for a glass of oil and a glass and a half of sugar. I don’t really know how much her glass was but I called it a heaping cupful. I knew she had a cup measure because the recipe also called for 3 cups of flour.
Since there was no directions of how to mix the ingredients I used my basic knowledge of creaming the fat (oil) and sugar.

Another reason these cookies were so good was because this recipe calls for oil, not butter, which my mom said caused a very thin a delicious batter. Then I added the four eggs and vanilla. Lastly I added the dry ingredients of flour and baking powder. The batter was not as thin as my mom said it was when she had them as a kid so I added a little more oil, but it didn’t do much.
We think that glass measurement was a little bigger then a cup and next time will use a large glass to measure and see. Also I whisked by hand because I was too lazy to get the hand mixer out. Next time I would definitely try using it.Once on the cookie sheet, generously sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Emphasis on generously! Try and get it all over not just in the center! (The picture does NOT show enough sugar....oh how I love cinnamon sugar on everything!)

I was also very confused about baking time. I baked the first batch at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. These were the largest (and my moms favorite) except she said they needed to bake longer. I also shrunk the size of the cookie and baked longer. These produced crispier delicious cookie as well.
Now just look at how the cookies rose...serious dome-age!!


I will definitively make these again soon to try and perfect the recipe. I want to get it right because sugar cookies are my favorite cookie of ALL TIME!

FYI: These cookies may complicate a weight lose regiment. Consider yourself warned, they are addicting.


Recipe:
4 eggs
1 glass (heaping cup) oil
1 1/2 glass sugar
Vanilla (2 teaspoon)
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups of flour

Combine sugar and oil and eggs. Add in vanilla. Then add the flour and baking soda. Mix until combined, DO NOT over mix...could be tragic ;)
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.

All I got for you now! More experimenting to come with these cookies...I would get excited if I were you!

With love and cupcakes,
CookTeen

Sugar Cookies on Foodista

5 comments:

  1. I love sugar cookies, and sprinkling some cinnamon sugar sounds like a great idea!I really like what you have here,I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much I am so excited! I added the widget...is that all I have to do? I am glad you enjoy my great-great grandmother's sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for adding our widget!I have a weakness for family recipes :)Thank you so much for sharing this!I've enjoyed reading your blog, really looking forward to more delicious posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your great, great, grandma's time-tested recipe. Heirloom recipes are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. A simple classic cookie. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails