Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bake Sale - Magic Smores Bars

It's hard to imagine how the people of Haiti are coping.  When I watch the news or talk about it in history class, all I can think of is what more can I do to help?

My sister, Brittney is back in Wisconsin at College and she called me over the weekend to get some recipes because she and her journalism school friends are organizing a bake sale for tomorrow to raise money to send to Haiti.  They are planning the sale for a Thursday night because that's the night everyone goes out and they are hoping for the "late night" crowd to come home hungry and hand off some cash!

...Well, I thought, I can do that too but it would have to be someplace where I can sell a lot, like School.  I got the OK from my Mom, (she has to do all the shopping...78 days to my drivers license!) my History teacher and tomorrow I have to get permission from the assistant principal.  Hopefully he will say yes too.  It makes sense, I am always bringing in baked goods to lunch for my friends, hopefully, they will be willing to pay for a treat for a good cause.

Since this sale is all about making money for Haiti, the recipes I choose have to be able to make money, so I need to make things that have a lot of servings per recipe...Cookies, Bars, Cake Balls and Cupcakes seem like the best bang for the buck...

Which brings me to yet another S'mores receipe...I know, I seem to be making a lot of smore's lately but when I came across the recipe for Magic S'mores Bars on the Sophistimom blog  I had to test the recipe to see if they should be included in my upcoming sale because everyone likes S'mores...
...and look how delicious these look!

 Start with 10 ounces of graham crackers (18 whole crackers or 2 cellophane stacks) or if you are like me, you may have one of those graham cracker crusts in your pantry that broke and you don't know what to do with it...
 
 
and if you do this, add some additional grahams to reach 10 ounces.

I had these on hand.

add grahams to mini chopper and turn into crumbs.
 


add crumbs to a bowl and set aside

Melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter in microwave (20-30 seconds)

 
 
add melted butter to crushed grahams

 
mix butter and grahams (add additional crushed grahams if mixture is too loose)

 
add mixture to a 13 x 9 greased pan, (I used pam) press down until crust forms.

and looks like this'ish

 
Bake for 5 minutes in a 350 degree pre-heated oven.

 
NOW THE RECIPE WASN'T CLEAR AND I ADDED THE CHIPS ONTO THE HOT CRUST BEFORE THE CONDENSED MILK, I RECOMMEND REVERSING THAT AND ADDING THE 14 OZ CAN OF SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK NOW, BEFORE ADDING THE CHOCOLATE...

So this is how I did it the first time, add the 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweets chocolate chips onto the grahams

Pour entire can over chips (or grahams if you choose to reverse the steps, which I will do for bake sale)

 
 
cover entire pan with a layer of mini-marshmallows, about 2 cups

Bake for 20 minutes more until marshmallows are lightly browned and cool comleately.

I was able to remove the entire pan and placed onto a cutting board and cut into squares with my handy dandy pizza cutter.

add to cupcake liners for easy serving.

or just plop a couple on a plate and eat...which is what I did, yum..these were so good and will definitely be included for the bake sale.

If you have any bake sale recipe ideas or tips, I would love to hear from you!

With love & cupcakes,
Cookteen

4 comments:

  1. 1. It's ridiculous that you are getting comments in other languages
    2. I think your website is one of the few I can look at while at work...must look like I'm doing something food related!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that looks so good I am going to try them. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so flipping good. As soon as I saw all that butter I got out my notebook of things to try and chalked it down. Butter is magic in stick form, I believe.

    I really like your site! I can definately relate to the age thing since I am 17 myself and school is a bit aggravating; college applications suck right now, haha. I'll add your site to my blogroll and check back often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mhmm...these look so good! I love your site! I am also a teenaged baker and your site is such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails