Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

End of midterms and SAT's (Recipe: "Healthy" Pudding Parfaits)


Yes, I am still alive.  I have been taking midterms for the past three days and prior to that I spent a majority of my day in my dining room surrounded by a sea of books.  I really wish I took a picture to show you, you would have thought I was slightly insane.

Oh yeah and this morning I took the SATs!! It's been a looong two weeks...

But, the best thing about midterms is that school starts at 9:30 rather than 7:30!! I love sleeping late.  I am SOO not a morning person, I'm not the most gregarious (sat vocab!) kid before my morning tea.

Normally my breakfast consists of tea and an apple, if I am feeling hungry when I wake up in the morning.  However, my mom said that I needed a more substantial breakfast for the tests.


My "brain food" breakfast consisted of a toasted slice of cinnamon toast (omg so yum!).  It made the entire house smell of delicious cinnamon-y goodness.  I also had half an apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon on it.

My mom ALSO bought me new teas.  She got Cinnamon Stick by Bigelow because she knows I love cinnamon! I am in love! It is so yummy! Think I have enough cinnamon in the morning? Apparently it's healthy for ya! Double yay!

I only had the math midterm yesterday so after dinner I decided to make a pudding parfait.  This time I made it with white chocolate (sugar-free/fat-free) pudding.  But the night before I had it with chocolate pudding and loved it just as much.  So the moral of that tidbit: it tastes good with almost any type of pudding so feel free to experiment.

I'm slightly hesitant to call these healthy because they do have about 160-180 calories depending on the add-ins.  But they are basically sugar-free and delicious so I am going to call them healthy to make me happy.


Ingredients: 1 (4 serving) package sugar-free/fat-free pudding, 1/2 tub Cool Whip Free (my mom prefers sugar free but I prefer just straight up free) and 1 1/2 cup skim milk.
Add-Ins: 1 Oreo, 1 graham cracker and/or mini chocolate chips


 
Pour the packet of instant pudding into a bowl.

 
 
 
Then add 1 and a half to three-quarters of a cup of skim milk.  My tummy doesn't like real milk.


 
Mix with a whisk until thickened.


Occasionally use a spoon to scrap the bottom of the bowl of any pudding mix that gets stuck in side.


 
Once it gets to the right "pudding" consistency, scoop 1 spoonful into each of the cups.  I use these from the set of Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee! How pretty?



Now time for the first "add-in"  What are these add-in's I am speaking of? Well these are parfaits so the need some slight crunch.  I choose graham crackers this time but anything from cereal to chocolate chips would work, and remember a little goes a long way in these! 



Only one square between the four parfaits but holy yumm it makes it so much better!



These graham crackers are gluten-free, egg-free deliciousness.  When we make chocolate covered grahams...we use these! Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better! But there is a down side.  It is like playing the lottery when buying one of these boxes.  They don't come cheap and sometimes we get a box in which a lot of them are broken! While they taste the same, there not optimal for chocolate dipping. 

 
Then take half of the THAWED Cool Whip (1/4 of a box) and mix into the remaining pudding.  Why the emphasis on thawed? Well I made these a few nights ago as well and in my attempt to cut the Cool Whip in half I cut my finger.  Ouch! I know...mom was slightly nervous.



Anyways, mix really well until nice and fluffy and looks like that.



Then distribute between the four containers


Now time for another add-in...Mini Chocolate Chips!!



I used about a tablespoon between 4 (so thats 1/4 tablespoon each) 


 
Now take the remaining Cool Whip and place a dollop on each.


To finish it off, top with some strawberry slices.


Cover with seran wrap and refridgerate until cold and ready to eat


look at the pretty layers!!


 
 
I really loved it!! Especially with my glass of cinnamon tea :)

 With love and cupcakes,
CookTeen


Recipe:
Ingredients:
  1. 1/2 tub Cool Whip Free (thawed) -divided
  2. 1 4 serving package instant pudding
  3. 1 1/2 cups milk
  4. 1 Graham Cracker
  5. 1 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
Directions:
Prepare pudding with 1 1/2 cups milk.  Whisk until thickened.  Spoon 1 spoonful into each (4) cup.  Then crumble 1 graham cracker between the four cups.  Combine 1/4 tub of Cool Whip with the remaining pudding and then divide evenly among the cups.  Now top each with 1/4 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips.  Dollop with the remaining Cool Whip and refridgearate until cold and ready to serve.  Top with some strawberries of chocolate sauce.

2 comments:

  1. yummmmy those look delic but I would probs prefer regular chocolate because well u know how I feel about chocolate.

    anyways you should probably mention that cool whip FREE doesn't mean it is free...like money wise and calorie wise.... i've made that mistake after a little mix up at the grocery store...

    heheh

    http://dumbblondies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. good info .. I am very interested with your article ...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails