Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Father's Day Crumb Cake

When I was younger, Saturday nights were spent sleeping at my grandparents house.  My grandma used to fall asleep early after a long day of work so my sister and I would stay up late with my grandpa watching T.V and noshing on goodies.  His favorites: pizza and Entenmanns crumb cake.  Yes, my grandma is an AMAZING cook and baker, but for some reason he couldn't get enough of ordering in pizza and crumb cake in a box.
Since Father's Day was last weekend, my mom and I made this in honor of him--Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Chocolate mousse filling.

The dough began like the Blueberry Crumb muffins, however, when it came time to add in the blueberries, I subbed 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.

To make the topping even better (if that is possible) I added 1 teaspoon of sweetened cocoa powder to the mix.


Post baking and cooling I whipped out my handy cake leveler (which I bought for the Cake decorating class I took last summer) and sliced the cake in two (even) pieces.


Then I took the extra chocolate filling I had from when I made Cream Puffs (pudding and whipped cream) and piped it into the center.

If you DON'T have extra filling, don't fret! You can use some pudding cups and heavy whipped cream to create a small quantity of delicious filling.
Each pudding cup is 1/2 cup so for every pudding cup, whip 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks. (1 pint = 2 cups; 2 pudding cups = 1 pint heavy whipping cream)
Oh yea heavy duty math right there ;)


Once filling, top the the crumb layer of cake, dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with melted chocolate.

Cut, serve and ogle at how good it tastes!

Nom nom nom nom nom...

With love and cupcakes,
CookTeen

Recipe:
Ingredients:
For the Muffins 

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup softened butter
1 egg
½ milk

Crumb topping
1/4 cup cold, cubed butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon sweetened cocoa powder
confectionery sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease 2 8-inch spring form pans (or a 9 x 9 baking dish).
For the cake --Mix 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl, set aside.   Cream 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light. Add an egg and beat until mixed in.   Add flour mixture—alternating with 1/2 cup milk and beating until smooth.   Fold in two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Divide in half and pour into prepared pans.  
**If you bake the entire cake in one 8 inch spring form it would be thicker (and quite delicious!!)

For the crumb topping--add 1/4 cup cold, cubed butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of sweetened cocoa powder to a cold, metal bowl.  Use mixer, pastry mixer or your hands and blend until they resemble coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle on top of the batter and bake for about 30 minutes (check around 25 and keep checking!!--burnt crumbs taste ucky)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails