Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Caramel Cappucino Bars

Field Hockey and school are in full swing already! It's creepy to think that I am a Senior and I have no clue where I will be one year from now.  I mean I KNOW where I WANT to be but its all up to the fates (and the awesome people who will be reading my collage applications...)

But anyways I tabbed these a while back when Cheri from Kitchen Simplicity first posted them because they looked, and sounded, out of this world yummy.

I made a half batch because A. I didn't have enough walnuts for a ful batch and B. Because thats the only size pan I had...


OH and I cut them extra large because they're pretty and because I was bringing them to Pierre Michel (My grandmother's salon where I spend some days working at the bar and front desk...)

The ingredients: oats, flour, walnuts, baking soda, salt, butter, brown sugar, eggs, instant coffee, vanilla, and caramels

Combine the oats, flour, salt, baking soda, and 1/2 cup of the walnuts (if your making a half batch--1 cup for the whole batch). Set aside...


Beat the brown sugars and butter until fluffy.  I used 1/2 cup of light brown and 1/3 cup of dark brown sugar.

yummmy--sugar and butter :)

Add in egg, instant coffee and vanilla

Then mix in the dry ingredients until combined

Remove 1 cup (2 cups if making the whole batch) of batter


Dollop the remaining batter into a greased pan and press to create a flat surface.  

You might want to wet your hands because the dough is VERY sticky.

Caramel time! You could use a jar of caramel topping or make your own from scratch--but I just melted some kraft caramels with a pat of butter and some water until drizzle consistency.


pour the caramel all over the "crust" and spread using a rubber spatula if necessary

With the remaining batter, drop spoonfuls onto the caramel (like you do with cookie dough in the Chocolate Chip Brownies) and slightly press down. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed walnuts.

Pop them into a 350*F oven for about 15 minutes. Until the edges are set and a toothpick inserted in the center produces "fudgey" crumbs.

Mmmmhh... Gooeyness <3

Drizzled with chocolate (the dark kind)

These were good! Oh so very good! I wanna try Nutella instead of caramel and hazelnuts instead of walnuts--but that could be because I have a minor infatuation with Nutella...

With love and cupcakes,
CookTeen

Recipe: Adapted from Kitchen Simplicity, originally Better Homes and Gardens
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/6 cups flour
3/4 cups chopped walnuts, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup caramel topping


Mix together oats, flour, 1/2 cup walnuts, baking soda and salt. Set aside.  Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, instant coffee and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in oat mixture until all is evenly moistened (it will be quite sticky).

Remove 1 cup of the batter and set aside. Scrape the remaining batter into a greased 8 x 12 inch pan. Smooth and spread with a rubber spatula until level.

Pour caramel topping over all and dollop remaining 1 cup of batter over top, flattening a bit as you go. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.

Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes until edges are set and when a toothpick inserted in the centre produces fudgey crumbs.

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails