Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

During lacrosse season our team went to free cone day at Ben and Jerry’s after our game (we didn’t win). Right next to Ben and Jerry’s is a cupcake shop, La Dolce Diva’s Bakery. They have awesome cupcakes and it’s so hard to be outside and not go in. So I decided to get a cupcake for my dad, I’m such a good daughter, I know. Well as me and my friend walked in, (we both love cupcakes A LOT), I spotted these individually wrapped red velvet whoopee pies. I just couldn’t say no to those cute little cakes and those whoopee pie tasted amazing!!!! To good for words! I have been dreaming of these since then so for my dad’s birthday I decided to make them. But I am going to have to admit. I did not make the cake portion by hand. I used cake mix because it was already late and I found a recipe to make the right consistency with cake mix. But I did use a homemade cream recipe that I found on Martha Stewart and bookmarked a while back.

The first batch of the cake mixture I placed on cookie sheets and it flattened out because I made the circles too large. The next time I made them smaller and they did puff up more but not the way I liked. I then spotted the cupcake pans and an idea struck to mind. I placed a spoonful of batter in each cup, just enough to coat the bottom of the cup. These turned out the best, perfect shape, puffiness and they were easy to match up because they were all the same shape. These were good. Next time I will definitely make it from scratch though.
Now the cream in the center was what made these so delicious. I found it from Martha Stewart and will definitely be using this recipe in anything involving cream. It was so simple to make, no boiling! Also it contains lots and lots of marshmallow fluff, which makes it extra yummy. I highly recommend making this and storing it in your fridge. Serve with strawberries and other fruit, on cakes, or just eat plain with a spoon.
Recipe for Whoopie Pie Filling (adapted from Martha Stewart)
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, preferably organic, room temperature
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 jar (7 1/2 ounces) marshmallow Fluff
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, preferably organic

Directions
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add Fluff and vanilla and continue mixing until well combined.

Recipe to make Whoopie Pies with cake mix
1 Box of cake mix (red velvet)
3 eggs
1/2-cup water
1/2-cup oil

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails